Featured Projects

Baldwin House

For more Baldwin House images visit our gallery.

The Township of Parsippany-Troy Hills purchased the historic Smith Baldwin House at 460 South Beverwyck Road on February 3, 2013. The Township purchased the property with open space money for the price of $676,681.75 which included several artifacts that were in the Baldwin family. Present at the closing were Mayor James R. Barberio, Gabe Yaccorino, township grant administrator, Councilman Michael dePierro (liaison to the Open Space Committee), Randy Tortorello (town historian), Dean Donatelli, Esq. Below is a history about the house.

Home to founding families of Parsippany-Troy Hills including Alling, Paritt, Cobb, Smith, Doty, Baldwin

  • John Cobb Sr. owned the original property and was co-owner of Troy Forge c.1760. He married local Rhoda Smith.
  • Son John Cobb Jr. inherited the property. On his death, his son John Joline Cobb inherited. He sold 34 acres to Calvin Cook in 1819 for $3,750.
  • The house was built c.1830
  • Lewis Davenport bought the house and 10.5 acres for 1 dollar in 1831. He sold the estate to Hiram Smith Jr. in 1833 for $2,040.
  • Smith married local Mary Allen Osborn. Their children and Col. Hiram Smith Sr. lived in the house.
  • The Colonel fought with Washington in the Revolutionary War and was an Honorary Pall Bearer for Washington's funeral. He was a Justice of the Peace, NJ Assemblyman, Morris Co Sheriff and Morris Co Judge. Also a Major in the NJ Militia and Col of same, a Trustee of the first board of The Parsippany Presbyterian Church and an incorporator of The Newark and Mt. Pleasant Turnpike. He was married to local Eleanor Parrit, daughter of Samuel Parrit and Eleanor Alling.
  • Hiram Smith Jr. was a successful dairy farmer and landowner. He had the right side addition built in 1856 for the return of his daughter Eleanor and husband Elihu Doty, Presbyterian Missionaries in Amoy, China. She died in 1858 days after her fourth child's birth and is buried in China. Doty and the four children moved into the house but he returned to China and died at sea on his return in 1865. The children lived in the addition until adulthood. The left side addition may have been built during this time or a few years later when son Richard was the owner. It housed a new dining room and large butler's pantry and three rooms on the 2nd floor. To the left of this addition was a one-room wing, later removed by Richard for a side porch.
  • Son Samuel Smith's daughter Rhoda was married to local Lt. Bethuel Farrand. She helped to feed Washington's army while at Jockey Hollow. A poem was written about her by Eleanor S. Hunter
  • Son Col John Condit Smith was chief quartermaster to Gen. Sherman during the Civil War. He bought the house across the street and raised his family there.
  • Son Richard Smith took over the farm and business on his father Hiram Jr.'s death in 1865. He married Emily S. White, a Mayflower descendant and had two daughters; Emily Caroline Smith and Marjorie White Smith. He had the attic space built over the left side addition and made changes to the original part of the house by enlarging the doorway between first floor rooms, changing moldings and windowpane sizes and removing the 2nd floor staircase leading to the original attic. Richard died in 1891.
  • Emily married William E. Baldwin in 1901 and had five children. They added a new kitchen, laundry room and toilet to the back of the left addition. They removed the doorway from the front of the left addition and also the dumb-waiter from the basement kitchen to the dining room. A large picture window was added some time later to this dining room.
  • Son Richard S. Baldwin married Mildred Hintz and had two daughters; Patricia Baldwin and Anita Baldwin. He inherited the house and property on his father's death in 1952. He had the old barns removed and a new three car garage built in 1964-65. He sold off parcels of the farm for new development with 3.5 acres left at his death in 2001. His daughter's inherited the estate.
  • Patricia and Anita sold the house to the Township of Parsippany-Troy Hills in February 2013. The house and property was bought with the Morris County Open Space Trust Fund.


  • House is a fine example of Federal architecture with Greek Revival and mid Victorian additions
  • Shows the evolution of a large rural country New Jersey house through 3 centuries
  • Very few changes made to additions both inside and outside
  • Mostly unchanged since early 20th century
  • Building is in very good condition with modern amenities
  • Modern 3 bay garage on property
  • Easily made ADA compliable to first floor

Future Use

  • Offices for The Township and/or non-profit associations
  • Reception rooms for official duties
  • Small public reception rentals
  • Township display areas
  • Open house during Township functions ( Harvest Festivals, etc.)
  • Unheated garage space
  • Storage space
  • Environmental center
  • Archaeological possibilities with local universities


  • House is eligible for State and County grants and also private grants
  • Restoration would be a long-term project
  • Preservation Plan made through County grant (2014)
  • Some restoration work made possible by Township workers