TOWNSHIP OF PARSIPPANY-TROY HILLS
OPEN POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
FULL-TIME REGISTERED ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH SPECIALIST
Department: Human Services Department
Workweek: Monday through Friday, 9:00am-5:00pm, subject to change based upon the needs of the department and the Township.
Wage: Per Ordinance, White Collar Non-Exempt
Definition: Under direction, performs sanitary inspection and environmental health work involving the enforcement of relevant
sanitary, environmental, and public health laws and rules within the Township of Parsippany-Troy Hills; conducts
inspections, investigations, and educational outreach activities; performs other related duties as required and/or
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
- Conducts inspections to enforce relevant sanitary and health laws.
- When violations of relevant sanitary & health laws are found, determines the cause, and takes proper corrective action.
- Periodically inspects retail food establishments and other eating-places.
- Investigates nuisances and violations of sanitary, environmental, and public health laws, rules, and ordinances.
- Plans and conducts routine and emergency environmental health inspections and investigations. Provides technical expertise to ensure operator and/or owner conformance with environmental health laws, rules, and ordinances.
- Prepares reports and maintains records and files. Reviews new environmental health policy and implements the requirements of said policy as necessary.
- Reviews and may approve plans for residential, commercial, and industrial development as necessary to ensure compliance with sanitary, environmental, and public health laws, rules, and ordinances.
- Performs other duties or special projects as required or as assigned.
NOTE: Examples of work are for illustrative purposes only. A particular position using this title may not perform all duties listed in this job specification. Conversely, all duties performed on the job may not be listed.
Skills/Duties: Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Prepares reports, reviews plans and applications, and maintains files. Evaluates hazards and provides guidance on control measures. Documents findings in both written and electronic format and collects evidence. Responds to emergencies, as needed.
- Conducts activities related to licensing, operation, and enforcement of sanitary, environmental, and public health laws and rules of regulated activities and facilities. When violations of relevant sanitary and health laws are found, determines the cause and takes proper corrective action, including issuing warnings, preparing court summonses, violation notices and prescribed inspection record keeping.
- Plans and conducts routine and emergency health inspections and investigations. Provides technical expertise to educate and ensure operator and/or owner conforms with environmental health laws, rules, and ordinances.
- Environmental Complaint Investigation, including, but not limited to foodborne, airborne, waterborne, and other suspected disease outbreaks as required.
- Communicates effectively, both orally and in writing. Must be able to establish and maintain effective and harmonious working relationships with coworkers, town officials and the general public. Must be able to interact with residents and business owners with good judgement and patience. Ability to make required field visits, inspections and investigations.
- Excellent computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel, are required to meet the demands of an automated Health Department.
Education and Experience: Must possess an active Registered Environmental Health Specialist License issued by the NJ Department of Health and Senior Services. Must possess a valid New Jersey driver’s license with overall safe driving history. Certifications in noise, lead, and public recreational bathing a plus.
Benefits: The Township offers a generous benefits package, including 14 paid holidays a year, paid sick time, paid vacation, state pension, life insurance and much more.
To Apply: Please submit cover letter, resume and copy of relevant license(s) to Jamie Cryan, Business Administrator at email@example.com. Position open until filled. Interviews will start immediately. EOE.
Closing Date: Open until filled